Are you planning to start incorporating some physical exercise into your life? If you are, and if you have done some research into the workout/yoga routine you want to do, as well as the activewear clothes you would need, we understand that you might be facing a bit of a dilemma.
If you've read reviews online, you will see people on both sides stating that one is better than the other. Yoga pants have always been considered "fitness pants" and are a common workout fit for most women, even if they aren't doing yoga. Leggings, on the other hand, are meant to be for everyday wearing. Think about the Akaso workout leggings. They are free-cutting yoga pants that you can wear anytime - and yet feel good.
So should they really be used as workout gear as well? Let's dive a little into it.
Leggings - What to know about them
When leggings initially came out, they were not designed to be worn for anything other than comfort. Only meant to be worn with another pant on top of it, the leggings were made skin-tight and out of see-through materials like spandex and nylon. You wouldn't want to be wearing these leggings to the gym.
However, since then leggings have changed somewhat to adapt to new uses. Made from thicker material but still skin-tight, the new trend of wearing leggings for workouts became more prominent.
- Leggings are easy to make and use less material than yoga pants. As a result of this, the cost of purchasing one is a lot less.
- Leggings are extremely comfortable which is why most women won't switch back to jeans once they've started wearing leggings long-term.
- They come in a wide variety of colors and materials. They don't look cheap and they go well with a lot of outfits, making them perfect to collect and store in your cupboard for future purposes.
- Leggings material is a lot more stretchy and thin than workout pants. Therefore, when you stretch with them, the material becomes translucent.
- Normal leggings are not designed for workouts and you will find them less comfortable to work out in when compared to doing everyday tasks.
Yoga Pants - What to know about them
Yoga pants are more a version of sweatpants than traditional workout pants. Using thicker material than leggings and being a lot less form-fitting, yoga pants are great not just for workouts but for normal everyday wear as well.
Just like with leggings, yoga pants are not strictly meant to be worn for one specific purpose. You can style them any way you want to match your outfit, making you ready to both leave the house on errands and drop by for a yoga class on the way back, all without a change of pants.
- Good yoga pants are usually made using hygienic and sweat-free material that keeps the pants from emitting bad odors even after a workout. You can wear them for a long time without worrying about people crinkling their noses around you.
- Yoga pants are a versatile addition to your closet. Once you get used to wearing them, you will be doing everything from sleeping, cleaning, cooking, and working out with them.
- Yoga pants are more expensive than leggings because of the materials used and the amount of time it takes to stitch one.
- Yoga pants are harder to clean because of the synthetic material used. They may not feel sweaty, but it still collects a lot of sweat and dirt in some places.
Leggings vs Yoga Pants
Leggings are worn almost every day by women who have gotten used to them. The main reason for this is the comfort they provide, but it is also because of the variety it provides to a woman's outfit selection as well.
- A combination - These are the leggings that are made as thin as possible to provide the most comfort. Usually made with a combination of polyester and spandex, these are not recommended for workouts.
- 100% Cotton - These are the most common type of leggings. When made with cotton it is not very see-through but is still thin and comfortable enough to be counted as leggings.
- Fleece - This material is meant to keep warm and is much thicker resulting in the leggings being a more snug fit than usual.
Leggings Fit and Length
- Leggings are usually either knee-length or ankle-length, though you can find variations in between as well.
- You can get leggings either skin-tight or with a slightly looser fit if you prefer a more relaxed feel.
Yoga Pants Materials
- Yoga pants are usually made from a combination of cotton, spandex, wool, or any other stretchy synthetic material.
Yoga Pants Fit and Length
- Has a thicker waistband for more comfort while working out. They are also tight around the butt area, becoming looser as it goes down.
- You can get yoga pants that are ankle-length, knee-length, or very short.
Both yoga pants and leggings are great for everyday use. And with changes made to leggings, you can even wear them to the gym or outside now with no reservations. For the best leggings, you can check out AKASO's workout leggings for their highly recommended versatile use.